Here are one hundred adventure seeds you can use to
generate ideas for your adventures and campaigns.
- A ancient and evil balor sorcerer imprisons old friends of the
player characters, holding them hostage in return for a
- A band of several death slaadi rogues and sorcerers
begins to waylay all planar travelers who chance
through their recently claimed turf on the Astral Plane.
- A ranger hero recognized around the world begins to
organize a group of explorers for reasons unknown…
- A bardic college develops a style of music that charms
and dominates any that listen to it too long.
- A beholder cluster, made up of many beholders driven mad, begins to war with lesser beholder communities,
apparently all seeking a beholder artifact.
- A prominent deity grows sick and will die if the cause of
its divine ill is not discovered.
- A beloved prophecy long accepted as true fails to
occur because of the characters’ meddling, and the
world turns against them…
- A blinding, yellow haze seeps down from the sky,
covering the world…
- A celestial tree hundreds of miles long reaches its
roots down and begins to grow on the world’s
surface. Creatures from other worlds live in the
heights of the tree.
- A child is born who prophecy indicates will one day
ascend to godhood.
- A black disease blights the forest, killing all vegetation
as it continues to expand without limit at an ever-accelerating
- A clan of psionic militants breaks away from the
kingdom — literally. A huge chunk of land hundreds of
acres wide floats up and away (taking with it many
terrified non-psionic people).
- A conjunction of parallel planes somehow energizes a
lowly peasant to the power of a greater deity — but only
until the conjunction ends.
- A cross-time catastrophe has cut off the Material Plane
from all others.
- A dragon kills the ruler of the largest nation and takes
over, calling itself the Dragon King.
- A flaw in a true resurrection spell leaves one player character
undead by night and alive by day.
- A floating city arrives from across the sea, apparently
fleeing the depredations of the Warlord, a barbarian of an epic caliber.
- A flock of angelic avengers and celestials is ravaging across the continent.
- A meeting is called by a storm giant blackguard.
Powerful giants from around the world (and
other worlds) begin to congregate. Though no one knows the meaning of this calling…
- A glorious gemstone in which the first light of creation
still lingers is purportedly languishing in an ancient,
- A great chase ensues through endless parallel dimensions
as wizard researchers follow the faint trail of the
long-vanished elder elves.
- A group of gargoyle paragons claims the Cathedral of
Pelor as its own new home.
- A hero of renown (a quasi-deity, really) is to be wed to
an elven prince, but the prince’s royal family claims the
prince is under a spell.
- A hole is gouged in the veil separating life and death.
As the tide of life pours out into the void, all creatures
everywhere begin to die as they accumulate negative
levels. The hole must be mended.
- A red dragon and two of its siblings emerge from a
red-lit cavern in the earth.
- A lesser deity declares the PCs as its mortal enemies,
enjoining all its worshipers and allies to find and slay
- A longstanding illusion is pierced, revealing that the
king is nowhere to be found, and that all dictates of
the kingdom have been actually flowing from the
- A new deity decides to leave the Outer Planes to set up
its palace on the face of the Material Plane. Once it
arrives, it demands worshipers and servitors.
- A mad chronomancer with a mastery of time, has determined how to destroy the past (and
therefore the present). Unless it can be stopped, time
itself will unravel.
- A planar conjunction will soon come to pass, allowing
the legions of hell (or worse) direct access to a
selected part of the Material Plane for 24 hours. It
can’t be stopped, but some famous characters may attempt to
defend key cities or strongholds from the onslaught.
- A player character’s heart is stolen and replaced with a
magical gem or a strange alchemical creation. Who
knows how long the replacement will last?
- A powerful wizards’ guild enters all-out war with the
dominant religious order of the world.
- A quasi-deity wants an escort as it ventures into the
Abyss to release a companion quasi-deity from bondage.
- A rogue moon threatens to crash down upon the
world, ending all life.
- A sentient spell-virus is raging out of control among
spellcasters. All who fall victim to it become part of one
unified mind controlled by a malign intelligence.
- A species of “fish” introduced from another plane has
provided good eating and relief from famine over the
last year. Now, thousands (possibly millions?) of the fish-like
creatures begin a sudden growth spurt, transforming en
masse into terribly powerful and bloodthirsty predators.
- A splinter community of humans evolves into a
sub-race sporting strange and variant powers.
- A syndicate of assassins dramatically expands its
membership by introducing a mind-control potion
into a city’s water supply.
- A team of nightmares draws a chariot driven by a
powerful fighter into the city.
- A titan seeks those brave enough to release it from its
age-long bondage; its rescuers may face the wrath of
- A vampire scion from another plane begins to conquer
world after world with the help of a reforged artifact of
legend, Midnight’s Heart.
- A volcano erupts. In the aftermath, a portal to the City
of Brass on the Elemental Plane of Fire remains open
- A well-known wizards’ guild’s magical dumping ground
of failed experiments and stale spell components
- A wizard attempting to summon a powerful devil slips
up and somehow summons an abomination instead:
an infernal lord of the hells.
- A wizard claims to have developed an epic spell ritual
that, if cast, will slay a deity.
- All magic items crafted from a particular city begin to
bestow negative effects on their owners with each use.
- All who fall asleep on a selected world cannot be awakened
and eventually die in their sleep. Exhaustion is beginning to take a hold on even the greatest heroes of its realm…
- An adventuring party stumbles upon the tomb prison
of an long dead half-god and releases it.
- An anti-magic plague is released by an unknown agency,
causing sickness and eventually death to any who
prepare or cast arcane spells.
- An artifact belonging to one of the characters must be
destroyed, lest some great catastrophe, which has
secretly been gathering, come to pass.
- An artifact capable of forever dominating all red dragons everywhere
- An enclave of gnomes customizes an iron colossus
into a walking war platform.
- A group of NPCs known for good deeds suddenly
embarks on a death spree, murdering merchants and
- A group of NPCs decides to destroy the PC adventurers,
for reasons that are initially obscure.
- A sentient, free roaming, self-casting disintegrate spell
breaks loose from a wizard’s laboratory.
- A legendary paladin leads a crusade to hell.
- An inter-dimensional caravan must float on the River
Styx through the dangers of several lower planes.
- Spirits begin to manifest from machines as complicated
as simple steam-powered wheels — is it a warning
from the gods of the forge to desist?
- Angry druids raise the beasts, animals, and dire
animals of the wild, intent on beginning a new world
order in which nature comes first.
- As the world ages, frequent earthquakes threaten to
plunge the major nations under the sea.
- Blue-skinned merchants begin to sell enormously popular
items composed of dreamstuff — “mined from the
very dreams of a deity,” claim the merchants.
- Deeper than the Underdark, the world is discovered
to be hollow. Hanging in that vast opening is an
unknown, uncharted inner world of strangeness.
- Dwarf miners follow a vein of adamantine to a hinged
valve sealed with divine magic of an age older than any
of the current deities.
- A group of seemingly amateur rogues steal the magical scepter of the
- Evil opportunists slay the Guardian of the Flame of
Destiny, hoping to remold the Law of Reality to their
- Ghosts of every sort begin to rise again, and they won’t
recognize their own undead state.
- Mind flayers successfully gain control of a surface
nation, plunging the region into permanent darkness.
- Jade pyramids of prodigious size rise from the earth.
Sounds unlike any heard before echo faintly from
within their stony cores.
- Construct-like creatures of insane complexity called
“machines” move across the land, preparing the way
for a larger invasion of automated entities.
- Magic begins to fail, supposedly because it is being
“used up” faster than it naturally regenerates.
- Mercenary half-dragons who ride chromatic dragons as
steeds sell their swords (and spells) to an evil empire.
- Newborns begin to be born without souls.
- Off-plane raiders begin to steal people away for use as
slaves and food.
- Once every ten years a small cave provides access into
a magical, underground world where all living beings
give off colorful light, ruled by mysterious fey lords
with mysterious agendas.
- One of the player characters learns about his or her
real mother or father — in fact, that parent was a
demon, and that demon has come calling.
- Planetars and solars bring heaven’s war to the Material
Plane, slaying any and all they deem evil or immoral.
- Chromatic dragons decide that their “species” is the
only true draconic race, and they begin a campaign of
genocide against all other dragon types.
- Several well-known cities and all their inhabitants
suddenly disappear without a trace. More could follow…
- Someone is breaking the Seven Seals that maintain the
integrity of the multiverse…
- The ancient Great Library has secret vaults where the
Words Once Spoken are supposedly inscribed in the
Book of Sleep. To speak them again would remake the
- The Clock that Rules the Universe is under attack by
insane gnome alchemists, who are raiding it for parts.
- The End Times threaten to begin.
- The gods of Law put all humanoid races on trial for
- The Lord High Priest of Pelor denounces her deity and
- The most feared and reviled weapon of legend, an artifact
sword that drains life energy with a touch, is lost
by its owner.
- The Mother of Spiders emerges from her Cocoon of a Million Years
to find a mate for her next spawning.
- A vast necropolis undergoes a mystical transformation.
Now, each coffin, sarcophagus, and mausoleum leads
to separate cemetery dimensions and realms of death.
- The PCs’ stronghold mysteriously gains new extra-dimensional
halls and rooms of unknown origin,
content, and extent.
- The populace decides that they want one of the PCs as
their new ruler, which doesn’t please the current ruler.
- The secret texts of a prominent religion, recently
discovered, call into question the church’s real goal, its
actual origin, and the agenda of its god.
- The souls of a good queen and her family are drawn
into the Abyss by an unknown demonic agency.
- The spirits of the dead begin to possess the bodies of
the living at an ever-accelerating rate.
- The sun is infested with moon-sized parasites, and
may soon fail like so many other stars have fallen to
this celestial infestation.
- The winter, which was overly cold, lasts too long — the goddess of winter, Auril, is suspected to be the cause…
- The woods begin to grow without bound, invading
field, plain, and city.
- The yuan-ti attempt to awaken the Slumbering Serpent,
a little-known abomination born of their own race and
a god of serpents.
- Twenty percent of all astral travelers begin to disappear
in mid-trip. Mid-travel diversion spells are suspected.
- Two parallel planes move too close to each other, and
denizens and objects of one constantly slip onto the
other, and vice versa.
- Unless stopped, an ancient demi-lich will inject itself
onto the Negative Energy Plane, where it can possess
any undead anywhere in the multiverse.
- When a friend or a respected associate is resurrected,
the soul returned to the body has different memories
from the original. Whence does this soul come?